- Natural materials, plants, animal-themed accents, and water features can help create a jungle-like atmosphere in the bathroom.
- Warm, natural colors, lighting, and decorative touches can further enhance the rainforest theme.
- Plants such as potted ferns, hanging vines, and bromeliads can bring a touch of nature into the space and add to that desirable wet rainforest feeling.
I was recently introduced to the world of rainforest bathrooms when I was traveling through Costa Rica a few months ago. I stayed at the Dream house and fell in love with the place.
Besides the fact that everything else about the house was amazing (the views!), the jungle bathroom at the Dream house was spectacular.
It quite literally had the rainforest growing into it, with bougainvillea reaching through cracked windows. Ferns and moss from the jungle somehow made their way into the bathroom too.
The bathroom floor was fresh earth, while a tile pathway leading from the shower to the toilet to the sink and mirror.
I loved that bathroom so much I made an offer on the house! (It fizzled out)
Ever since, it has been my main inspiration for searching for my next home to live in. In the meantime, here are my notes on jungle bathrooms and how to create them.
Design elements for a rainforest bathroom theme
Before I show you my favorite jungle bathrooms and how to re-create them, let’s dig into what makes the perfect jungle bathroom,
Incorporating natural materials, plants, animal-themed accents, and water features can help create a jungle-like atmosphere in the bathroom. Warm, natural colors, natural lighting, and decorative touches can further enhance the rainforest theme.
Here are a few ideas of what you can include in your jungle bathroom:
- Natural materials, such as bamboo, wood, and stone, can be used to create a jungle-like atmosphere in the bathroom. The jungle bathroom I visited in Costa Rica had a large old branch standing on its thick end. The smaller branches were the hooks on which we hung our towels.
- Plants, such as potted ferns or hanging vines, can bring a touch of nature into the space and add to the rainforest feeling. The idea is to create a sense of being surrounded by plants.
- Animal-themed accents and accessories, such as animal print towels or soap dishes in the shape of tropical animals, can add to the exotic feel of the bathroom.
- Water features, such as a small waterfall or fountain, can enhance the rainforest ambiance and create a soothing atmosphere.
- Warm, natural colors, such as greens, browns, and darker blues, can be used in the bathroom to create a tropical feeling.
- Natural lighting, such as skylights or windows, can enhance the jungle atmosphere and bring in additional light.
- Decorative touches, such as jungle-themed wallpaper or shower curtains, can add to the overall rainforest theme of the bathroom.
Best rainforest plants for creating the perfect jungle bathroom
I reached out to Shane from Planterra Interior Landscaping, who literally does this for a living, to get his advice for creating the perfect jungle bathroom.
“Putting plants in bathrooms gets me excited because of the daily humidity that comes with showers.“
This makes the bathroom (assuming it has good light) an excellent location for Epiphytes! These are plants which thrive on moisture from the air and happen to be some of the most interesting, exotic plants you can keep alive in your home.
- I say, splurge on interesting bromeliads, tillandsia, ferns and just about any orchid or aroid with gorgeous aerial roots.
- For orchids, the luxurious Vandas with long hanging roots and vibrant colors are a lovely addition to any bathroom.
- For Aroids, you can’t have a jungle without some wild Philodendrons, such as Monstera deliciosa!
Before you go buying more plants, however, just double check that the plants you’re buying would actually like the environment in your bathroom. While these vining and hanging plants mentioned above are absolutely perfect for humid environments, not all bathrooms actually have that much humidity and even fewer have enough lighting to fuel your green oasis.
You can easily measure your humidity levels with a hygrometer. If you need to up the humidity, then a small plant humidifier is an easy way to bring in more humidity. (Bonus: the tiles in the bathroom handle humidity well.)
Jungle and rainforest bathroom ideas
Use interesting accent walls and tiles
More plants aren’t always the answer, depending on the space, lighting, and humidity levels. Adding interesting accent walls or tiles can help contribute to the jungle ambiance but doesn’t require more plants.
A jungle-themed wallpaper or accent wall painted dark green seems pretty ideal for rentals, where you might not be able to hang plants from the ceiling or to hang shelves.
Take the inside outdoors
If you have the absolute privilege to live where you can enjoy the outdoors all year long, then consider moving your bathroom outside. While this isn’t an easy task, it’s certainly been my favorite way to answer nature’s call in all of the places I’ve ever stayed.
Pairing the outdoor space with subtle gray cement and tile features lets your eyes focus on the lush jungle vibes. Just make sure the toilet has a good view.
Use varying heights of plants and greenery
This is a money-maker when it comes to design elements: put plants everywhere. Put tall plants in the corner, hang plants on the shelves, put vining plants around the mirror and window, hand propagation vases on the wall. The possibilities are endless.
The varying heights of the plants makes the space more interesting. Rather than needing more plants, (which I’m not judging because who is arbiter of the right amount of plants anyway??) you can just place a few plants strategically to bring about the same experience.
Use natural elements like stone or wood
This is perhaps the most important factor when you decide how to pull your rainforest bathroom together. Using natural elements like stone, wood, or natural fibers completes your relaxing little oasis.
Why you’ll love jungle-themed bathrooms
Listen, I don’t think I need to explain the personal benefits of this amazing concept. There is a reason it’s trending on Instagram and Pinterest. But in case you need convincing (and the search engines need more explanation), let’s walk through some of my favorite benefits of having a cozy jungle bathroom.
Jungle-themed bathrooms can add a sense of adventure and relaxation to the space, and incorporating natural materials, plants, animal-themed accents, and water features can enhance the jungle ambiance. Jungle themes can also add a unique and interesting element to a home’s overall design, making it a fun and creative way to experiment with bathroom design.
These are my favorite benefits of having a rainforest bathroom:
- Jungle-themed bathrooms can add a sense of calmness to the bathroom space.
- Bathing in a bathroom filled with plants is seriously one of life’s greatest joys.
- Jungle themes can add a unique and interesting element to a home’s overall design.
- Using natural materials, such as bamboo and wood, can add texture and earthy elements to the space.
- Water features, such as a small waterfall or fountain, can add to the relaxing jungle ambiance and create a soothing atmosphere.
- Jungle-themed bathrooms can be a fun and interesting way to experiment with home design.
So, you ready for the most relaxing experience of your life? Let us know in the comments if you gave this a try!
more about home décor
- How to make the perfect jungle-themed bathroom
- How to make a balcony garden: ideas, tips, and best plants
- DIY: how to make a window shelf for plants
- indoor plant supports: expert tips for staking indoor plants
- 18 gorgeous ideas for decorating with plants (and how to do it)
- diy tiered plant stand: how to make a chic tiered plant stand
- diy propagation station: how to make an plant propagation station
- DIY macramé plant hanger: 4 basic knots + pattern
- 5 step IKEA cabinet hack for an indoor greenhouse
- pot it like it’s hot: best plants for apartments