🧪 our review process
Our testing team independently researches, tests, and recommends the best products to help keep your houseplants absolutely thriving. Learn more about our testing and review process here.
LED (light-emitting diode) grow light technology has made huge gains in recent years. The best LED grow lights, and even LED grow lights in general, used to be a niche product, most popular with commercial operations and indoor growers focused on producing high yields of ganja on a budget. How the tables have turned! Today, LED grow lights are available to everyone from the average plant enthusiast to the kitchen herb gardener, while of course remaining a top choice of high-volume home growers. Why does everyone love LED grow lights? They are highly efficient at turning energy into plant growth, meaning you get a lower energy bill and don’t need to turn your whole living room into a greenhouse to get the most out of this technology. Newer LEDs offer a wider spectrum of usable light for plants, ensuring abundant growth at all stages. We’ve researched a wide range of options and have chosen the best LED grow lights for you, whatever your budget and no matter what you’re growing (we won’t ask). Your plants will thank you!
|1||Spider Farmer SF 1000 LED Grow Light||4.7 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|2||Mars Hydro TS 600W LED Grow Light||4.6 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|3||Gavita Pro 1700e LED||4.0 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|4||Advanced Platinum Series P300 300W||4.5 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|5||LED Umbrella Plant Grow Light||4.5 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|6||Electric Sky 300 V3 LED Grow Light||4.6 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|7||Modern Sprout Smart Landscape Grow Frame||5.0 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|8||Aspect Luxury LED Grow Light||4.8 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|9||Bozily Clip-On LED Grow Lights||4.5 out of 5||View on Amazon|
|10||Espird LED Grow String Lights||4.5 out of 5||View on Amazon|
the best LED grow lights
1. best performing LED grow light: Spider Farmer SF 1000 LED Grow Light
key specs: 3’ x 3’ max coverage | top rated by home-growers | lightweight and quiet
This LED grow light is a darling of indoor growers. The Spider Farm SF 1000 is easy to link with additional lights via daisy chain for larger indoor growing projects, includes high-quality components from Samsung and Mean Well that are made to last, and is one of the most energy efficient lights in this guide, consuming only 96 watts for a high efficacy rating of 2.5 µmol/J.
- With 2.5 µmol/J efficacy measurement, this is the most efficient led grow light available in the under $200 price range
- The Samsung-made LEDs are high quality, reliable and provide excellent range for all stages of plant growth, from seedling to bloom
- It’s super quiet! Instead of using a fan, like many led grow lights, the light’s aluminum body moves excess heat away from plants
- The sterile design is a bit industrial for the average vegetable grower
- Some buyers have reported the dimmer switch feature is not as advertised- either the light arrived without it, or it wouldn’t function when multiple lights are connected
2. best bargain LED grow light: Mars Hydro TS 600 W LED Grow Light
key specs: 2’ x 2’ max lighting coverage | angled light box directs light where it’s needed most | top tier features for a steal
The Mars Hydro TS 600W is a great introductory LED grow light that gets results at a low upfront cost. The angled, reflective aluminum light box creates a 2’ x 2’ lighting footprint large enough for 2-3 mature plants, that is best suited for compact indoor growing spaces / multi-use rooms. With a 6-ft cord and hanging hardware included, the Mars Hydro TS 600W is a lightweight option that comes ready-to-install. From seedling to blooming stages, your plants will love this bright, full-spectrum light at all growth stages.
- Mars is an industry-leader known for its industrial quality, low-cost products loved by novice home-growers and professionals on a budget
- Includes hanging hardware for easy home set-up
- Well-built aluminum light box with angled reflectors directs light downwards toward plants and away from eyes
- There is no dimming function, which makes it difficult to provide the lower lighting conditions needed during seeding and vegetable stages of plant growth
- Buyers report that the lights run hot and the LED casing is not well-insulated. We recommend buying a fan to keep this grow light cool, and keeping kids and pets away from your grow zone for safety
3. best high-end LED grow light: Gavita Pro 1700e
key specs: 2.6 µmol/J efficacy | 6’ x 6’ max lighting coverage | 650 watts
Released in 2019, the Gavita Pro 1700e is the most recent model in the entry-level commercial fixtures made by the reputable Dutch company. If you’re in the market for a commercial grade growing-machine with a large lighting footprint (4x the lighting footprint of our Best Performing pick!), the Gavita Pro 1700e is our upper-end LED grow light pick for you. With a bar-light suspension design backed in aluminum, this LED is optimized for cooling and air circulation without additional moving parts, resulting in a functional and clean aesthetic. The light spectrum in this model has been designed to shorten the flowering period and produce compact plant growth, so it’s ideal for growing leafy greens. For its efficacy rating, this light draws a remarkably low 650 watts, so you won’t bust your power bill! At this price point, warranties are typically included with purchase; the Gavita Pro 1700e comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Includes both Samsung white LEDs and Osram deep-red LEDs, some of the highest quality available
- Tested and certified for use in wet environments with features that protect the light from dust, oil and water for maximum longevity
- Elegant, intelligent design with 8 passively-cooled LED bars suspended directly from the fixture allows for maximum air circulation above your plants
- The light is only dimmable up to 50%, which makes it slightly less versatile than its competitors
- For such an expensive product, it’s a shame that the power cord is sold separately!
4. best high quality LED grow light: Advanced Platinum Series P300 300 W
key specs: 4.5′ x 3.8′ max lighting coverage | simple, sleek aluminum design | dual switch function
The Advanced Platinum Series P300 is our top splurge-choice for plant-happy indoor growers seeking a quality LED grow light from an American company. This LED grow light has a solid build with a dual switch function for easy adjustment to bloom and veg growth stages. Platinum LED Grow Lights are known for their high efficacy value, and this model doesn’t disappoint; at 3.5 µmol s-1 / watt, your plants will definitely love the high intensity of photosynthesis-friendly light that the Advanced Platinum Series P300 is known for.
- Dedicated settings for vegetable and bloom stages make it easy to give your plants exactly what they need at the flip of a switch
- All lights come with a 5-year warranty that covers shipping charges, plus a 90-day satisfaction guarantee
- With a 3.5 µmol/J value, this LED grow lamp has the highest efficacy of any light in this review – the company claims this is true for any light on the market
- The light isn’t waterproof. Do not use it in a grow tent or in a high-humidity indoor environment
- There’s no daisy chain function at present, so this light is best used as a single fixture for small indoor nurseries
5. best mini LED grow light: LED Umbrella Plant Grow Light
key specs: extendable height from 8.5” to 30” | ideal for a single plant | low-profile lighting accents your favorite potted plants
Offered in a range of Easter-egg shades (including plain white, if that’s your thing), this LED Umbrella Plant Grow Light is designed to spotlight your favorite leafy friends in the home. This tiny light packs a punch with a high PPFD, and is popular not only for overwintering tropical plants in cool climates, but also to grow herbs and lettuces in the kitchen. Some buyers report the adapter getting quite hot, like a phone charger might if left in the wall day after day. If you choose not to use the timer function (which is fixed to 16 hours of light a day), make sure to un-plug this LED at night, and adjust the height of the stake as your plant grows to prevent leaf burn. Don’t expect too many bells and whistles, and you won’t be disappointed. At this price, you can buy a few and keep your herb garden growing indoors through the winter!
- The cute, umbrella-shade design of this LED light not only feeds your plant everything it needs from the sunshines spectrum, but comes in four shades to match your decor
- With a staked lighting post adjustable to 30”, this LED grow lamp is perfect for small- to medium-sized potted plants
- The manufacturer does not specify the type of LED used or its output of usable light for plant growth, and this may vary due to Amazon’s sourcing methods
- 5 ft UL cord included is a bit short for some indoor plant placements, so you’ll need to order an extra-long UL cord if your plant is placed away from an outlet
6. best high-yield LED grow light: Electric Sky 300 V3
key specs: 3’x6’ max lighting footprint | focusing lenses mimic sunlight diffusion | 2.0 Umol/J
Truth be told, it’s difficult to find a single bad review about the Electric Sky 300 VC out there, and for good reason. Produced by the Green Sunshine Company, this LED grow light somehow harnesses the secrets of the sun with its patented wideband spectrum technology designed to mimic the light diffusion of sunshine with the help of special focusing lenses. All of this means unmatched yields for home-growers of all kinds, with a pull of only 300 watts from the wall. The Electric Sky is at the forefront of the move toward “white” LED grow lights based on the latest scientific research, promising yield up to two weeks faster than traditional non-LED grow lights. For daily use in the greenhouse, this means you can see the true color of your plants under these lights. The light itself has the classic look of fluorescent grow lights and comes with everything you need to set them up.
- Dual-direction focusing lenses direct light to penetrate the plant canopy for dense, healthy plant growth
- “Top bin” wideband LED diodes use patent-pending GS1 wideband technology focusing on red and near-infrared light precisely engineered for high yield!
- The proof is in the pudding! This light comes with a 3-year warranty and 90-day money back guarantee
- Weighing in at 22 lbs, this LED grow light is on the heavy side. Install with care
7. best decorative LED grow light: Modern Sprout Smart Landscape Growframe
key specs: natural white LEDs rated CRI 92 | powder-coated steel frame in 4 tasteful colors | smart-app enabled48W | rated for 20,000 hours of life | Full daylight 6400k light spectrum
Modern Sprout is setting a new aesthetic standard for grow lights enabled with the latest technology. The Smart Landscape Growframe is thoughtfully designed to hang as a wall accent in any room – just make sure it’s within 10 feet of a power outlet. This light is suited to succulents, herbs or even seedlings, since it’s enabled with a smart-app lighting timer. This LED grow light frame is unique, well-built, and made in the USA! Although Modern Sprout doesn’t specify the lighting efficacy of this product, we can safely assume that it’s not designed to maximize your plant growth with a power pull of only 7 watts. It is rated with a CRI (color rendering index) of 92, which means it will render the “true” colors of whatever plants you put under the light almost perfectly. This is an artful hanging piece for any plant-lover’s home, however, and we love the ethos of this brand!
- The wall-mounted powder-coated steel frame (choose from four colors and two formats) will make a beautiful, living centerpiece in your kitchen or living space
- Dimmable white LEDs blend seamlessly into your home and are suitable for low-light to bright-light loving plants
- Operate the light from a manual touchpad or connect to the Modern Sprout App for easy programming and on/off functionality from a distance
- There is no efficacy rating available for these lights, so look elsewhere if you’re after a high-yield light
- Although labeled as “directly plantable” under product specifications, the company encourages you to use drainage trays under pots placed in the steel to “prevent water damage”
8. best minimalist led grow light: Aspect Luxury LED Grow Light 40W
key specs: 1.05 µmol/J efficacy | solid aluminum body comes in two colors | best for medium to large indoor plants
Available in black and white, the Aspect LED Grow Light pendant from Soltech Solutions fills the niche of effective, cutting edge technology that blends beautifully into the modern home. Soltech Solutions provides an efficacy rating on their main website, which at 1.05 millimoles per joule is highly efficient for the single bulb natural white category. This light has a CRI rating of 97 to boot, rendering true colors with a clarity on par with museums and neonatal units (what wouldn’t you do for your 🌱 babies?). This light is constructed in solid aluminum to pull heat away from the light, and comes with the full kit; mounting equipment, light housing, LED light bulb, and even an outlet-mounted timer.
- Clean, cool design in solid aluminum with a 15’ fabric cord hits all the right notes for the modern home while providing full spectrum light to hungry plants
- Includes an outlet-mounted lighting timer, so all you need to do is plug in the power cord and set the optimal daytime for your plant!
- Installation is a breeze with the included instruction manual and easy-to-follow “how-to” video featured on the product page
- There’s no on/off switch on the cord, so you need to unplug the cord in order to turn off the light outside of the timer settings
- The light is a bit heavy for the mounting gear included, so you might want to purchase your own hooks
9. best grow lights for bonsai: Bozily Clip-On LED Grow Lights
key specs: dual-head gooseneck design | COB LED technology | adjustable brightness and timer settings
Bonsai plants require consistent care year-round, from pruning to shaping and watering – and yes, lighting! If you live in a region with seasons, you’ll likely need to move your bonsai throughout the year so it can soak in the best quality light. During winter months, is essential to supplement weak sunlight, and you’ll need something that’s easy to adjust. The Bozily Clip-On LED Grow Lights are an ideal addition to your bonsai care kit, thanks to their gooseneck design featuring two separate lighting heads that are fully adjustable to 360°. These lights pull 75 watts combined and deliver the full spectrum of light necessary for plant growth. For a highly competitive price, you get a two-headed light with four timer modes and four brightness levels, adjustable from the control built into the lighting cord.
- Versatile lighting modes with 3/6/12/24 hour timer modes and 10%/40%/70%/100% brightness levels
- 23” dual light head gooseneck design with C-clamp attachment allows you to experiment with plant placement and lighting positions
- New COB (chip on board) LED technology packs a lot of power into two lighting heads
- These little powerhouses can get hot, so place them away from household hustle and bustle
- 23” gooseneck means that you will most likely need to attach the light to a shelf above your plant if growing succulents or larger bonsai trees
10. best versatile led grow light: Espird LED Grow String Lights
key specs: waterproof and approved for indoor/outdoor use | daisy-chain up to 120 lights | two year warranty plus free returns
Do you have an indoor nursery, but grow crops outdoors during the summer and spring? Or maybe you have a variety of indoor plants growing at different rates that need easily-adjustable lighting? Our top-pick for a versatile grow light is far and away the Espird LED Grow String Light kit. These LEDs are fully waterproof (make sure to screw in the bulbs tightly and you’ll be good to go) and are designed to be connected, Christmas-light style. You can connect up to 20 separate strings for large-scale growing operations! Pulling only 150W per set of 6 lights, you won’t have to worry about power usage. The SMD (surface-mounted device) LED technology used in these lights are smaller and more discreet than traditional LEDs, and emit a natural white light that is low-glare and even more energy efficient than COB technology. And when you’re done for the season? The waterproof rating means you can fold them up and store them in the garden shed without worrying about moisture damage.
- Wet-rated and fully waterproof – just make sure to screw in the bulbs tightly enough
- Durable alumnium light shades, heavy-duty cord and UL-approved switch are made to last
- Excellent value with a two-year warranty included with purchase
- These lights aren’t dimmable
There truly is an LED grow light for every gardener, grower, herb enthusiast and plant-nerd out there. Whether you’re looking for a tasteful addition to your home, or a high-powered solution for your greenhouse project, there are LEDs out there to suit your taste, your efficiency needs, and most certainly your budget. All of the LEDs on this list are energy-efficient, and there’s no need to break the bank in order to grow your healthiest indoor plants year-round!
🎖️ why trust us?
The list of products featured within this post was all researched, compiled, and written by Brody Hall. Brody is a freelance writer, Environmental Scientist, qualified Horticulturist, and serious indoor plant enthusiast. All the indoor fertilizers he featured within this list were chosen for their industry-leading design, superior performance, and application to indoor growing requirements.